What are cookies and what are they used for?
A cookie is a file that is downloaded to your computer, tablet, smartphone or any other device when you access certain websites. Among other purposes, cookies enable a website to collect and store information about the browsing habits of a particular user or his or her device. In addition, depending on the information contained in the cookies and the way in which the device is used, cookies may also be used to recognise the user. Cookies cannot damage your device in any way. In fact, when cookies are active they actually help to identify and resolve potential errors.
Identification of cookies
In the text below, cookies are classified into various categories. It should nevertheless be noted that the same cookie may fall into more than one category.
Types of cookies depending on the entity that manages them
The following cookies can be distinguished according to the entity that manages the device or domain from which the cookies are sent and how the data obtained is processed:
- Own cookies: cookies sent to the user’s terminal from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself, from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: cookies sent to the user’s terminal from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
If the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected by the cookies is managed by a third party, then the cookies shall not be considered own cookies.
Types of cookies based on how long they remain active
Cookies can be categorised as follows, according to how long they remain active on the terminal equipment:
- Session cookies: these cookies are designed to collect and store data only while the user accesses a web page. They are normally used to store information which is only of interest during the provision of the service requested by the user, on one specific occasion (e.g., a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: these are cookies in which data remains stored on the terminal equipment and can be accessed and processed for a defined period by the manager of the cookie. This period can range from a few minutes to several years.
Types of cookies according to their purpose
The following types of cookies can be distinguished according to the purpose for which the data obtained through the cookies is used:
- Technical cookies: these are cookies that enable the user to navigate a website, platform or application and to access various options or services offered therein, e.g., control traffic and communicate data, identify the session ID, access restricted areas, consult the individual components of an order, carry out the purchase process for orders, process requests for registration or participation in an event, use security elements while browsing, store content for video or sound broadcasts or share content through social networks.
- Customisation cookies: these cookies enable the user to access the service using some general default settings obtained from various settings on the user’s terminal, e.g., language, type of browser and regional settings used to access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: these cookies enable their manager to monitor and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which the cookies are linked. The information collected by these cookies is used to measure activity on websites, applications or platforms and to create browsing profiles for their users in order to institute improvements through analysing data on how users are employing the service.
- Third-party advertising cookies: these cookies allow advertising spaces to be managed as effectively as possible. The cookies store information about users’ behaviour, obtained through continual observation of their browsing habits, thus enabling specific profiles to be developed in order to display advertising based on these habits.
Madrid Film Office Website uses own and third-party cookies that enable us to store and access information relating to the language and browser type used and other general default user settings, as well as to monitor and analyse user activity with the aim of improving and providing our services as efficiently and in as customised a manner as possible.
Madrid Destino does not collect or store personal information (e.g., name or address), and therefore this information cannot be used to identify an individual.
Nevertheless, it is possible to configure your browser to accept or reject cookies, or choose which cookies to accept and which to reject, by following one of the procedures detailed below, depending on the browser used:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Internet Explorer (Windows Phone)
- Safari para IOS (iPhone y iPad)
- Chrome para Android
On Madrid Film Office Website, Madrid Destino uses:
The storage and validity of session cookies is temporary, i.e., until the user ends the website session. These cookies do not permanently record any information on your computer’s hard drive.
|cc_cookie_accept||MADRID DESTINO||1 year||This cookie tells us whether you have already been shown our Website’s Cookies Policy Notice, so as to avoid showing it to you again.||1|
Specifically, Madrid Destino stores Google Analytics cookies on the user’s terminal. The user may opt out of being tracked by using the opt-out facility provided by Google Analytics.
For more information: Google Analytics Cookie Usage on Websites.
|__utma||2 years or update||This cookie keeps a log of the number of times a user has visited a site, and when the first and last visit took place.||2|
|__utmb||30 minutes or update||This cookie helps calculate the duration of a user’s visit by storing the time and date of access.||2|
|__utmc||expires on end of session||This cookie helps calculate the duration of a user’s visit by storing the time and date of exit from the site.||2|
|__utmz||6 months or update||This cookie helps record traffic source or campaign information; it keeps a log of which search engine the visitor used, which links he or she clicked on, which keywords were used and from which area of the world the page was accessed.||2|
|__utmli||2 years or update||These cookies create an anonymous user ID which is used to count the number of times a user visits the Website. It also keeps a record of the first and last time the user visited the Website. Similarly, it calculates when a session has ended, the user’s origin and the keywords used.||2|
Social network cookies
In particular, Madrid Film Office uses AddThis, a plugin that enables our website content to be shared on various social networks.
|uid||addthis.com||Expires at end of session||Stores randomly-generated letters and numbers. AddThis cookies enable users to share content through social media sites and email. When we supply links to third-party services that you find useful, they may install a cookie on your device to make their service easier to use.||2|
Cookies used by the plugins of external content providers
Cookies used by the plugins of external content providers are necessary to enable the user to access content or services provided by third parties, e.g., to view videos stored on YouTube, to view geographic locations in Google Maps or to offer you information on how many times the page of our Website you are viewing has been evaluated by Google+1. They are governed by the provisions of their respective cookies policies.
Google plugin cookies
Madrid Film Office Website uses external Google plugins, which means that cookies will be sent.
The information collected by the external Google plugins on our website, including the user’s IP address, may be sent to Google and stored on its servers. This information is managed exclusively by Google. These cookies do not identify the user personally unless he or she has an active Google session, in which case the information will be linked to the Google account.
For more information, consult: Types of cookies used by Google
Madrid Film Office uses the Google Maps plugin to display geographic locations (our offices and other locations).
Some parts of the Madrid Film Office Website show embedded YouTube videos. The cookies implemented by Google on any page containing a YouTube video are used to measure the number and behaviour of YouTube users, including information linking the visit to our website to the user’s Google account if there is an active session.
Vimeo plugin cookies
On our Website we use embedded Vimeo videos. This service uses Google Analytics to monitor usage. To this end, it employs the same cookies described in the “Analysis Cookies” section: “__utma”, “__utmb”, “__utmc” and “__utmz”.
Levels of intrusion associated with the cookies we use
The cookies outlined above are associated with a “level of intrusion” criterion which rates them on a scale of 1 to 3, where:
- Level 1: for cookies used internally as an essential component in the provision of the service requested by the user.
- Level 2: for anonymous cookies used internally and which are necessary for content maintenance and navigation, as well as cookies managed by third parties in relation to services expressly requested by the user on the websites of said third parties (e.g., Facebook or Twitter social plugins, embedded videos, maps).
- Level 3: for cookies managed by third parties in relation to services not expressly requested by the user, enabling the monitoring of said user via web pages not owned by Madrid Destino (e.g., graphic advertising management platforms). The owner shall be specified for cookies rated at this level. Use of level 3 cookies is only permitted upon the user’s express confirmation of acceptance.
These lists are updated as quickly as possible as the services offered on the Website are changed or developed. However, during this update process, it may sometimes be the case that the list does not yet include a cookie, although such cookies shall always have the same purposes as those included in the lists.